Main Campus: 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur
Courses Offered (Foundation):
- Foundation in Life Science
- Foundation in Physical Science
- Foundation in Islamic Studies
- Foundation in Islamic Studies and Science
- Special Preparatory Programme (Japan)
- Foundation in Social Science
Courses Offered (Local Undergraduate):
ARTS & SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Bachelor of Arts History
- Bachelor of Arts Indian Studies
- Bachelor of Arts Chinese Studies
- Bachelor of Arts English
- Bachelor of East Asian Studies
- Bachelor of Arts Anthropology and Sociology
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies
- Bachelor of Geography
- Bachelor of Arts Southeast Asian Studies
- Bachelor of Media Studies
- Bachelor of Social Administration
- Bachelor of Arts International and Strategic Studies
- Bachelor of Real Estate
- Bachelor of Quantity Surveying
- Bachelor of Building Surveying
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture
- Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
- Bachelor of Finance
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Economies
COMPUTER SCIENCE & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Multimedia Computing)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Software Engineering)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Information Systems)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Computer System and Network)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Data Science)
- Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Drama
- Bachelor of Dance
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Education Teaching English as a Second Language
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Al-Quran and Al-Hadith
- Bachelor of Islamic Education (Islamic Studies)
- Bachelor of Usuluddin
- Bachelor of Muamalat Management
- Bachelor of Islamic Education (Quranic Studies)
- Bachelor of Shariah and Law
- Bachelor of Shariah
LANGUAGES & LINGUISTICS
- Bachelor of English Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Chinese Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Arabic and Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of German Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Tamil Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Japanese Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Italian Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of French Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Spanish Language and Linguistics
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Malay Linguistics
- Bachelor of Malay Literature
- Bachelor of Malay Studies
- Bachelor of Professional Malay Language
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science
- Bachelor of Biomedical Science
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (HONS.)
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Geology
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
- Bachelor of Science in Ecology and Biodiversity
- Bachelor of Science in Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- Bachelor of Actuarial Science
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science with Education (Biology/Physics/Chemistry)
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management
SPORT AND EXERCISE SCIENCES
- Bachelor of Sports Science (Exercise Science)
- Bachelor of Sports Management
Universiti Malaya (UM) is well known for
The University of Malaya, founded in 1905, holds the distinction of being Malaysia’s oldest public research university. Renowned globally, it is consistently recognized as one of the world’s leading institutions, currently ranking #70 in the QS World University Rankings 2023. Additionally, it proudly secures the top position among Malaysian universities.
The University of Malaya (UM) stands out in various academic disciplines. It has three subjects ranked among the top 50 globally: Library and Information Science (38th), Electrical & Electronic Engineering (46th), and Development Studies (49th). UM also excels in Architecture/Built Environment, Modern Languages, and Accounting & Finance, securing spots in the top 100. Domestically, UM ranks first in all five broad subject areas, and internationally, it shines in Engineering & Technology (55th) and Social Sciences & Management (74th). While Arts & Humanities dropped to 105th place, Life Sciences & Medicine improved to 174th.
Benefit from world-class academics, including the possibility of being taught by authors of widely-used textbooks in teacher training colleges and university education faculties nationwide. The majority of lecturers at UM hold PhD degrees, ensuring a rich learning experience.
UM enjoys strong brand recognition, renowned for its selectivity and competitiveness in the admission process, which is widely known among Malaysians.
UM has a global reach, being ranked among the top 100 universities globally and garnering popularity internationally. The university actively engages in collaborations with prestigious institutions and researchers, such as Cambridge University.
Students can take part in various events and join societies, providing opportunities for engagement and enrichment.
- The University Malaya stands out from other medical schools for Malaysian students since it has a specialist center and its own university hospital.
Some of the student dormitory facilities at UM are outdated and in need of renovation.
There can be pressure to publish a research paper for graduation due to the university’s research-oriented nature.
International students who do not understand Malay may feel isolated, as some teachers have limited English proficiency, and the staff may face similar challenges.
General Entry Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree (Malaysian):
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the Universiti Malaya must fulfil the University’s entry requirements as follows:
(1) Pass the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu subject
a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July papers and pass in History (SPM 2013 and above);
(2) Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) according to the requirement of the programme, and
(3) Have fulfilled all special requirements of the programme as prescribed by the Senate
Entry Requirements for Foundation Programmes (Malaysian):
How to Apply for Bachelor’s Degree Programmes (Malaysian)
1) Applications must be submitted online at https://upu.mohe.gov.my.
- The application is open for applicants with STPM / Matriculation / STAM / Diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates must obtain a unique ID number from BSN outlets all over Malaysia.
2) Choose Programme(s).
How to Apply for Foundation Programmes (Malaysian)
Universiti Malaya’s Open Channel, is a distinctive admission pathway that caters to Malaysian students who aspire to study Foundation or Bachelor’s Degree programs at the Universiti Malaya (UM). For more information, click here.
1) Registration: Applicants must create an account via http://maya.um.edu.my and proceed to create a new application. Once registered, they should log in and select “CONTINUE” under the “Unsubmitted Application” tab in the Admission section.
2) Program Selection: Applicants should select their preferred undergraduate program by choosing “Citizen” as their nationality, “Universiti Malaya’s Open Channel (SATU)” as the mode of implementation, and “Undergraduate: Universiti Malaya’s Open Channel (SATU)” as the level of study. This will display a list of 78 programs offered via Saluran SATU. Applicants can search for their desired program by adding specific keywords, such as “data,” to the search bar.
3) Confirmation of Program Selection: After selecting the desired program, applicants should proceed to apply by clicking the “APPLY” button.
4) Personal Details: Applicants are required to provide their personal particulars in the designated fields and click “SAVE & CONTINUE” upon completion.
5) Next of Kin Details: Applicants must also provide details of their next of kin in the designated fields. If applicable, they should click “ADD ANOTHER NEXT OF KIN” to include additional kin. Upon completion, they should click “SAVE & CONTINUE.”
6) Academic Qualifications: Applicants should provide information on their academic qualifications, including selecting the appropriate qualification, year, and grades for SPM/O-Level/IGCSE, and providing necessary information for STPM/STAM/Matriculation/Foundation/High School/Diploma/A-level/Others. They must obtain final results and upload certificates/transcripts. Applicants should also select an English Level Proficiency test, provide the corresponding score, and upload the certificate.
7) Other Preferred Programs: Applicants may add up to three additional preferred programs if they wish.
8) Submission and Payment: Applicants are required to pay a processing fee of RM300 and save the receipt for future reference. They must also read and tick the appropriate boxes in the “Declaration” and “Disclaimer” sections before clicking “SUBMIT” to complete their application.
Disclaimer: Information updated on 8 June 2023